Links to medieval texts
Medieval texts and references
It is to be noted that some but not all of these editions or translations were published during J.R.R. Tolkien’s lifetime.
- On Beowulf (the 8th-10th century medieval poem): the manuscript (British Library); Old English text and translation
- Anglo Saxon riddles (translation in modern English; see also this index)
- Sir Orfeo (13th-14th century poem, text and notes)
- The Battle of Maldon (10th century poem; a translation; another translation with a map and a commentary…)
- “Dirige…” (antiphon, quoted in The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth by J.R.R. Tolkien): text and translation.
- Thomas Malory : Le Morte D’Arthur, volume I; Le Morte D’Arthur, volume II
- The Mabinogion : (medieval Welsh stories; text)
- Sagas: see the Viking Society website; and read Christopher Tolkien’s edition of Saga of King Heidrek the Wise
- Joseph Wright’s Grammar of the Gothic Language (1910)
- From the Cotton Nero A.x. Project: the website of the complete project.
- The Defense of Poesy, Sir Philip Sidney (1595), in English Essays: Sidney to Macaulay, The Harvard Classics (1909-14)